Another day, spent quietly at home.

I'd planned to try to go back to work this morning, but I realized this morning that I still needed to be on my anti-nausea medication. Since the pills make me sleep for an extended period of time, it really wasn't worth my while to go in to work for the short amount of time I would have been coherent.

By noon I was curled up under my favorite quilt in the guest bedroom, cats stretched out along my side. I slept for nearly five hours. I'm not sure what's in this medication, but it's the best sleep aid I've ever found.

I've tried to keep the day a quiet one. Some reading, some kitty-spoiling. I'm starting on Saul Bellow's Henderson the Rain King as my next literary read; it looks good so far.

This morning I felt guilty for not going in; by five p.m. I really understood the concept of "recovery." I'm not sick anymore (except for this nagging fever that refuses to go away). But I'm not well, either. I'm bone-tired. After walking across the house I find that I want to curl up somewhere and rest for a little while.

I really have worked too much overtime lately, I guess. I just don't seem to have any reserves left at this point. I have a standing offer to go to Atlanta this weekend with friends, to get some more Christmas shopping done. Right now, the thought of trying to walk around a mall just gives me the shivers. I know I'm not capable of it; I'd be tired in under twenty minutes.

Maybe I'll go. I'd love the companionship, and it would be nice to visit Atlanta again. But I'm not terribly sure this is the right thing for me to do right now, so perhaps another time.

Tomorrow: first attempt to go back to work. This should be interesting. I wonder if I'll manage a full day. Just the thought of the hundred-plus email messages that are waiting on me is enough to give me the willies.

I think, though, that I've got to remain reasonable about all this. I'll probably spend all day tomorrow catching up on the things I've missed in the past three days. The urge to put in overtime will be a strong one. I'll probably even think that I can get more done that way. But for once, I really need to just lay off. Come home and spend some more time with the catbeasts. They greatly enjoyed having me home—there was much fussing and cuddling and petting and purring and tail-thumping.

In my next life, I'm coming back as one of my housecats.

To end my utterly quiet day, I'm going to curl up with Jeff and read in bed. I think he's trying to ward off some of the strain that always comes with finals week. I'll be glad when the semester's over—it means that I'll get to see him a bit more for the next few weeks. I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Side note: I'm working on a redesign for domesticat. I'm toying with getting some mouseovers to work. I may start implementing the new design in the next day or so, depending on when I get everything working behind the scenes. Once I get it all up and running, I'll explain why I chose to change things.

all tags: